Boots

Boots

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Who am I?

It can be so easy to get down on yourself, can't it?  What makes us do that?  Here's what I put it down to:

One word:  COMPARISON.

Comparing yourself to others is an extremely dangerous game - it make you discontent and just downright miserable.  I know because I went through a 'valley' recently when I was playing the comparison game and I spent about two weeks in tears because I couldn't live up to what I thought I should be.  Not that we shouldn't grow - I don't mean that, - but we shouldn't try to be who we're not.  I was comparing myself to my sisters who always seem to have it all together and can fit any number of things into their day with time to spare.  I'm not like that.  But I have time for people that my sisters have to work on making time for.  It just come naturally to me, and I was for getting that.
There is one comparison that is beneficial to us, however.  And that is comparing ourselves to Jesus.  And we shrink back in horror as we realize that we will never, ever live up to his standard of who He is.  That is why He came to earth.  We couldn't live up to Him, so He came down to us, and became our sacrifice.  "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."  (2 Corinthians 5:21)  Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:"  (Galatians 3:13)  Not only did Jesus come down to our level to save us, He is gentle and compassionate.  "Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.  He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea."  (Micah 7:18-19)
If all this is true, why do we still get the blues about ourselves?  I believe that if we forget who we are in Christ that we forfeit the  power that is inside of us, so satan tries double and triple time to make us forget.  I was amazed when I started making a list of who God says I am.  Are you ready to be encouraged by the Lord?  Here we go!  :)

  • "...in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. (Romans 8:37)
  • But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people…”  (1 Peter 2:9)
  •    “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!”  (1 John 3:1)
  • “So God created man in His own image…”  (Genesis 1:27) 
  • “The Spirit Himself bears witness… that we are children of God… and joint heirs with Christ…” (Romans 8:16-17)
  • Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.”  (Ephesians 2:19) 
  • ...but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.  (I Corinthians 6:11)
  •  ...I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

These are just some of the wonderful identities God gives to us as His beloved children.  So stand tall and whether you have a good day or one that beats all other shockers,  know that you are a child of God and nothing you are going through will ever change His love for you or who you are in Him!

My love to you in Christ Jesus,

Emily  :)

6 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much for this, Emily dearest. Was feeling this a lot yesterday.. very timely post. Love you. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how God orchestrates things! I'm so glad this was a blessing to you! Love you too! xox

      Delete
  2. Oh Em! God has given you such a beautiful gift of encouragement! Thankyou for writing this - such a blessing to me! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely note, Emmie. I'm so glad God encouraged you through it. Love you too! xox

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily,
    My name is Sarah and I live in QLD. I just discovered your blog. I think this is providential, because I really needed to hear this encouragement. I've been going through very similar comparison feelings lately and feeling really depressed and miserable. Thank you for encouraging me to remember who I am in Christ and not what I expect myself to be like, nor what others expect me to be like. May He give us all the grace to follow Him and focus our eyes and hearts on Him. God bless.
    Sarah
    http://ofsimplethings-sarah.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      Thank you for your note! I was so encouraged to hear that you were encouraged by what God inspired me to write.
      Have a very blessed weekend and keep your eyes on Jesus! :)

      Emily

      Delete