Boots

Boots

Wednesday 24 December 2014

Three Things I Love About Christmas

I can hardly believe it has rolled around to that time of year again.  Weather you live where it's boiling hot or freezing cold (pun totally intended!) Christmas usually has the same 'twang' for most people - a time of little or no rest, a fair amount of stress, travel, fatigue, and although we enjoy it well enough, I dare say there's more than a few people who give a hearty sigh of relief once it's over.

It doesn't have to be that way.  Whether you go all out at Christmas time or keep it basic, take time out to enjoy the little things that light up the season.  Here are my top three things that I really enjoy at Christmas time.  :)


1. The Giving

It probably sounds really corny and self-righteous of me, but I assure you that's not what I am trying to imply!  :P   One of my favourite parts of Christmas is planning gifts for my younger siblings and my parents, and the anticipation that goes with it.  ...And then watching their faces light up with surprise and joy and delight while they unwrap... it's priceless!  :D


2. The Advent Calendar

This is a new tradition for us, but we all enjoy it.  Last year, my sisters and I made a patchwork advent calendar and put a piece of chocolate and a Bible verse in each pocket.  We decided to pull it out again this year and do it again.  ^_^  It only takes a minute, but it is really special to read the verses that point to the coming of Christ and to discuss the prophecies together.  The homemade chocolate is really good too.  ^_^



3. The Music


Why is it that some of the most beautiful songs and melodies ever written only get sung once a year???  I love Christmas music.  Three albums we have been really enjoying this year are "Home for Christmas" by BarlowGirl, "A Family Christmas" by the Piano Guys, and "Rose of Bethlehem" by Selah.  (This is the one Jess and I have been flogging lately!)  Rose of Bethlehem is truly one of the most beautiful Christmas albums I have ever listened to.  Currently, my favourite song comes from that album... Here are a couple of songs from it... My favourite is the first one, Once Upon a Christmas.  The second one, Rose of Bethlehem is absolutely beautiful too as it draws a comparison between Jesus and a Rose, the thorns and the crown of thorns He bore for us.





Well, that's what I love about Christmas - some of it anyway!  What are some of your favourite traditions or elements of the season?  

In all the traditions and hustle and bustle, never forget the true meaning of the season:

For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”



May God bless you and your families immensely and may you have a very blessed Christmas.  

God bless us, every one!  :D
- Tiny Tim

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Emily!
    For me, I'd say my favourite things about Christmas are Giving, Music, Family and Memories! We also have a tradition where every Christmas Eve night our family drives around town looking at christmas lights!
    Oh, and I love the quote you used at the end! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, love. :)

      We love Christmas light looking too, but Christmas Eve here is spent watching and singing along to Carols by Candlelight. :)

      Have a wonderful Christmas! :D <3 <3

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with the giving! I just love the looks on my family's faces as the unwrap gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's priceless! :D

      Have a very blessed Christmas, Clare. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post, Emily, and about "giving". So true!

    Merry Christmas, Emily! I pray your Christmas was truly blessed and joyous. <3 Lots of love,
    Joy
    p.s. thank you sooooo much for your beautiful bcard <3 <3 I love it so much. Email coming soon, pinky promise!

    ReplyDelete